British Rowing has around 32,000 individual members who range in age from 11 to over 80.
Individual members are generally linked to one of our 550 affiliated rowing clubs, which in turn are within ten rowing regions in England. Each region has a regional rowing council elected by the affiliated rowing clubs and events in the region.
Each region has a number of Regional Representatives elected by the regional affiliated rowing clubs and events to represent them as voting members of British Rowing at its Annual General Meeting.
British Rowing Ltd is a company limited by guarantee, Registered in England No. 1706271.
Corporate Governance Structure
British Rowing’s Board is the ultimate decision-making body, responsible for the management of British Rowing’s business. The Board of British Rowing has the power to:
- Affiliate clubs, regattas and other rowing events to British Rowing.
- Suspend, disqualify and reinstate clubs regattas and other rowing events to British Rowing.
- Approve the formation of Regional Rowing Councils and their constitutions.
- Adopt/make/add to/alter/revoke the Rules of British Rowing.
The members of the Board are the Directors of British Rowing Ltd for the purposes of the Companies Act and comprises:
- The Chairman
- The Deputy Chairman (elected at the AGM)
- Home Nations Director (nominated by Scottish and Welsh Rowing)
- Chief Executive Officer (ex-officio)
- Chairman of the Sport Committee (elected at the AGM)
- Two Directors (elected at the AGM)
- Athlete Director (elected by the GB Rowing Team)
- Four Independent Directors
The Board has appointed a number of sub-committees including:
- The Nominations Committee
- The Finance Committee
- The Audit & Risk Committee
- The Sport Committee
The Sport Committee is the co-ordinating committee for the development of the sport and is made up of:
- A Chairman and Deputy Chairman (elected at the AGM).
- The Chairmen, or nominated deputies of the following sub-committees: National Coaching, National Competition, British Rowing Events, National Umpiring, Junior Rowing, Masters Rowing, Recreational Rowing and Rowing Safety.
There are a number of panels which report either to the Sport Committee or to the Board. These include – Disciplinary & Grievance, Medical, Anti-Doping & Integrity, Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups, Young Persons’ Panel, Multi-Lane Umpiring and Facilities.
British Rowing also has three Honorary advisory posts, Rowing Safety Adviser, Medical Adviser and Legal Adviser.
There are two life Vice Presidents: Martin Brandon-Bravo OBE and Mike Williams.