British Rowing Ltd is a company limited by guarantee, Registered in England No. 1706271.
Individual members are generally linked to one of our 550 affiliated rowing clubs, which in turn are within ten rowing regions in England. Each region has a regional rowing council elected by the affiliated rowing clubs and competitions in the region.
Each region has a number of Regional Representatives to represent the affiliated rowing clubs and competitions in their region as voting members of British Rowing at its General Meetings.
Corporate Governance Structure
British Rowing’s Board is the ultimate decision-making body, responsible for the management of British Rowing’s business. The Board of British Rowing has the power to:
- Affiliate clubs, competitions and other rowing events to British Rowing.
- Suspend, disqualify and reinstate clubs competitions and other rowing events to British Rowing.
- Approve the formation of Regional Rowing Councils and their constitutions.
- Adopt/make/add to/alter/revoke the regulations or rules of British Rowing.
The members of the Board are the Directors of British Rowing Ltd for the purposes of the Companies Act and comprises:
- The Chair
- The Deputy Chair
- Home Nations Director
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chair of the Sport Committee
- Two Nominated Directors
- Athlete Director (elected by the GB Rowing Team)
- Four Independent Directors
The Board has appointed a number of sub-committees including:
- The Nominations Committee
- The Finance Committee
- The Audit & Risk Committee
- The Sport Committee
The Sport Committee is the co-ordinating committee for the development of the sport and is made up of:
- A Chair and Deputy Chair (elected by the Regional Representatives).
- The Chairs of the following sub-committees: National Coaching, National Competition, British Rowing Events, National Umpiring, Junior Rowing, Masters Rowing, Recreational Rowing and Rowing Safety.
There are a number of panels which report either to the Sport Committee or to the Board. These include – Disciplinary & Grievance, Medical, Anti-Doping & Integrity, Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups, Young Persons’ Panel, Multi-Lane Umpiring and Facilities.
British Rowing also has two Honorary advisory posts, Rowing Safety Adviser and Medical Adviser.
There are two Honorary Life Vice Presidents: Annamarie Phelps CBE and Mike Williams.
Governance Statement (2018)
Rules of Racing (2019)
Strategic Plan (2017 – 2024)