British Rowing has around 30,000 individual members who range in age from 11 to over 80.
Individual members are generally linked to one of our 550 affiliated rowing clubs, which in turn are within ten rowing regions in England.
Each region has a regional rowing council and a representative or representatives who represent them on British Rowing’s Council.
British Rowing Ltd is a company limited by guarantee, Registered in England No. 1706271.
Corporate Governance Structure
British Rowing’s Council is made up of:
- The members of the Board
- The Regional Chairmen
- The Regional Representatives
- The Honorary Rowing Safety Adviser, Honorary President, Home Nations Representative and Honorary Life Vice Presidents
The Board is the Board of Directors of British Rowing Ltd for the purposes of the Companies Act and comprises:
- The Honorary Executive Officers – the Chairman and the Deputy Chairman
- Home Nations Director
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chairman of the Sport Committee
- Two Directors elected by Council
- Athlete Director
- Four Independent Directors
The Sport Committee is the co-ordinating committee for the development of the sport and is made up of:
- A Chairman and Deputy Chairman elected by Council
- The Chairmen, or nominated deputies of the following committees: National Coaching, National Competition, National Umpiring, Junior Rowing, Masters Rowing, Recreational Rowing and Rowing Safety.
There are a number of other committees and advisory panels which report to Council through the Sport Committee, Board or the National Committees and these include – Finance, Audit & Risk, Nominations, British Rowing Championships, Medical, Anti-Doping, Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups, Young Persons’ Panel, Multi-Lane Umpiring, Facilities.
British Rowing also has three Honorary advisory posts, Rowing Safety Adviser, Medical Adviser and Legal Adviser.
Dame Di Ellis DBE is the Honorary President of British Rowing and there are two life Vice Presidents: M. Brandon-Bravo OBE and M.D. Williams.