UK clubs claim European Surf Rowing Championship honours in France
Porthtowan Blue Bali and Porthtowan Black & Blue – who won the men’s and women’s competitions respectively – overcame tough competition from French, British, and Dutch crews on their way to victory at Soulac sur Mer.
This was the fifth staging of the European Surf Rowing Championships (ESRC), which takes place annually to promote the discipline of surf rowing to mainland Europe.
Porthtowan Blue Bali have claimed top spot in the tournament three times before – 2007, 2008 and 2010 – with Nick Healey featuring in all four winning crews.
Porthtowan Black & Blue, in contrast, claimed their first victory in the women’s event
1. Porthtowan Blue Bali UK (Nick Healey, Ed Hartgill, Tim Bracey, Jules Chenoweth – Sweep Gary Walters)
2. Bude Barracudas UK (Martin Downey , Russell Crofts, Tom Dowson, Evan Bickmore – Sweep Mark Bannister)
3. Amsterdam Mongrols NED (Marjits Vriesendorp, Gijs Vermeulen, Jan Rog, John James Burton – Sweep Pepijn Van den Toorn)
4. Biarritz Wave Shepherds FRA (Bruno Jaureguiberry, Eric Audibert, Christian Peyre, Pierre Sellier – Sweep Manu Immig)
5. Perranporth Probables UK (Marcus Cooper, Scott Bentley, James Basher, Tommy Kearns – Sweep Peter Gaisford)
6. Dutch Courage NED (Marcel Stroo, Nienke de Jong, Sieger Koops, Johan Blom – Sweep Jeroen Van den Berg)
1. Porthtowan Black & Blue UK (Lowenna Bradley, Joanna Lloyd-King, Rebecca Lloyd-King, Kim Marie Clothier – Sweep Gary Walters)
2. Bournemouth Bachannals UK (Amanda Pilgrim , Yvette Stephens, Sarah Clarke, Kate Roberts – Sweep Peter Gaisford)
3. Begle Piranhas FRA (Kelly Brennan, Anais Imperiali, Leila Humbert, Evelyne Perin – Sweep Philippe Doimo)
4. Biarritz Neska FRA (Sandra Larrode, Mayalan Bellecave, Christelle Lajus, Virginie Dupebe – Sweep Manu Immig)