GB Rowing Team launches new three-year agreement with The London Clinic
As rowers prepare for this weekend’s Assessment at Eton, The GB Rowing Team has announced a new, three-year agreement with The London Clinic.
The partnership recognises The London Clinic as an ‘Associate of the GB Rowing Team’. As a result, members of the 70-strong national team will have access to the Clinic’s state-of-the-art facilities and technology for diagnostic testing, physiotherapy and sports injuries, managed by leading experts in sports medicine.
Such support comes at a critical time in the international rowing calendar, which will see the team competing in key championships on the world stage during the next 18 months.
Malcolm Miller, Chief Executive of the London Clinic commented: “The next year and a half is set to be a really exciting time for the GB Rowing Team. I’m thrilled that The London Clinic can lend our support to help ensure our national team remains in peak condition for the many championships that lie ahead.
“Our facilities and expertise in the area of sports medicine are second to none, so all members of the GB Rowing Team can feel confident they will receive the very best in treatment and patient care.”
As part of the relationship, members of the GB Rowing Team will benefit from, amongst other things:
• Direct referral for investigations to enable rapid diagnosis, including, blood tests, radiology, pathology and nerve conduction studies
• Remote access to results of diagnostic investigations and images
• Rapid access to specialist opinion
• Health checks for coaches and support staff
Dr Ann Redgrave, Chief Medical Officer for the GB Rowing Team said: “We are delighted to form this link with The London Clinic. This arrangement will give us rapid access to the kind of diagnostics and services we might need to minimise days lost on the water and in the gym in the lead up to all of our top events. It’s a big year for the GB Rowing Team with a World Championship in late August which doubles as the Olympic qualifying regatta for 2012.”
The GB Rowing Team is currently in preparations for this year’s World Rowing Championships, which take place in Bled, Slovenia (28 August – 4 September).
The London Clinic
• The London Clinic is the UK’s largest independently-owned non-profit hospital
• 271 patient rooms and 12 operating theatres including dedicated endoscopy suites and a day surgery unit
• 24 hour consultant-led Intensive Care Unit with 11 beds
• As a registered charity and not-for-profit organisation, The London Clinic is able to continuously reinvest in the latest medical technology, facilities and clinical and nursing support
• Highly complex procedures in addition to routine surgery and medicine such as live donor liver and kidney transplants
• Located on Harley Street in the heart of London’s medical community
• Long-standing international reputation attracting leading consultants for over 77 years
The GB Rowing Team
We train, prepare and select GB Teams for international competitions at junior, U23 and senior level, including Olympic and Paralympic Games. We also run talent identification and development programmes that are lottery-funded and backed by Siemens.