WADA publishes 2018 Prohibited List
The World Anti-Doping Agency publishes its 2018 Prohibited List, including some changes to inhaler dosing parameters and changes to IV infusion rules
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) have announced the Prohibited List 2018, which will come into effect on 1 January 2018.
What is the ‘Prohibited List’
The Prohibited List outlines prohibited substances and prohibited methods in sport, and details whether they are prohibited in-competition, out-of-competition or both.
What are the criteria for inclusion of substances or methods on the Prohibited List?
For a substance or method to be added to the List, it must be determined that it meets two of the following three criteria:
- Potential to enhance or enhances sports performance.
- An actual or potential health risk to the athlete.
- Use violates the spirit of sport.
The main changes to The List for 2018, include:
- Clarification regarding salbutamol inhaler dosing parameters
- Glycerol to be removed from the List
- Changes to intravenous (IV) infusion rules
- Additional specific examples of stimulants
- Clarification regarding the status of cannabidiol
- Examples of glucocorticoids (S9) to be added
- Alcohol to be removed from the List
- Additional specific examples of prohibited substances to be added to various categories of the List
Please refer to the WADA 2018 Summary of Major Modifications and Explanatory Notes document for these examples
What do I need to do now?
By announcing the Prohibited List 2018 in October, it enables all athletes and athlete support personnel sufficient time to be aware of the changes, and review any medication they are currently taking.
The Prohibited List applies to members of British Rowing, those who coach and support rowers, and anyone who takes part in a British Rowing supported event across all rowing disciplines. Ensure you take the time to review the changes and if you have any questions please email [email protected].
UK Anti-Doping have provided clear outlines to the changes here.
The Prohibited List 2018 can be found here.
For more information about anti-doping in rowing please refer to our webpage.