Northamptonshire Winter School Games
On Thursday 28th February, secondary school students from across Northamptonshire gathered at Kettering Leisure Arena to compete in the Northamptonshire Winter School Games indoor rowing competition.
A grand total of 80 students competed in various rowing events, including 2012 metre team relays and individual races. Schools from across the Northamptonshire School partnerships took part, including:
- Corby, Oundle & Thrapston
- South Northants & Daventry
- Wellingborough & East Northants
All of the students, ranging from Key Stage 3 (Years 7, 8 and 9) and KS4 (Years 10 and 11) boys and girls were very enthusiastic and full of team spirit and positivity. Trophies were awarded to the winning teams for the relays and gold medals presented to the fastest individuals.
- KS3 (year 7,8,9) Girls GOLD – Huxlow Science Academy
- KS3 (year 7,8,9) Boys GOLD – Prince William School, Oundle
- KS4 (year 10, 11) GIRLS GOLD – Prince William School, Oundle
- KS4 (year 10, 11) BOYS GOLD – Prince William School, Oundle
- Year 7 Girls GOLD – Serena Sherino – Sir Christopher Hatton
- Year 7 Boys GOLD – Haydn Bennett – Brooke Weston
- Year 8 Girls GOLD – Sophia Law – Sir Christopher Hatton
- Year 8 Boys GOLD – Brendon Thomas – Malcolm
- Year 9 Girls GOLD – N/A
- Year 9 Boys GOLD – Elliot Farrar – Wollaston
- Year 10 Girls GOLD – Meg Dennings – Wollaston
- Year 10 Boys GOLD – Tom Harris – Prince William School
- Year 11 Girls GOLD – Megan Stokes – Prince William School
- Year 11 Boys GOLD – Tim Cardell – Prince William School
Several of the gold medallists already had links with local rowing clubs such as Oundle Town, and clearly put their rowing skills to good use to claim victory. The success of the day has encouraged students to seek links with local clubs and opportunities to attend taster sessions on the water. It is hoped that this success of promoting the sport will continue across the county.
The rowing competition was run by British Rowing HSCT coach Harriet Griffin, supported by Oundle Town Rowing club coach Richard Box and Laura Dudley from Caldecotte Water Sports Centre. Young Leaders who assisted on the day were provided by Prince William School.
SCT – Oundle & Milton Keynes