Becoming a Level 2 Club Coach is not just about coaching rowing; it’s about inspiring rowers to excel and providing a rewarding experience of the sport.
Why you should do a Level 2...
Maybe you are a former rower or someone who loves to teach. Perhaps you are passionate about rowing and would like to develop the sport further. Either way, you might want to consider doing a UKCC Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rowing.
The Club Coach is a qualification that ensures that our coaches are supported and trained to the best possible standard. As part of the national qualification framework, this UKCC qualification provides an opportunity for budding coaches to take your passion for rowing and use it to support and develop rowers of all skill levels – from beginners through to performance athletes.
The Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Rowing is a qualification that supports coaches when coaching on the water and is aimed at beginner coaches working with all groups from novices through to competent rowers, through a series of linked and progressive sessions.
How much will it cost?
How long is the award?
The Level 2 Club Coach consists of 36 hours of face-to-face tutoring and internal and independent assessments.
What will I get out of it?
As a Level 2 Club Coach Certificate holder you will be qualified to prepare, deliver and review coaching sessions, while developing an understanding of safe, ethical and effective rowing coaching.
Who can attend?
Anyone over 18 years of age wanting to develop their coaching skills.
In addition to this you must:
- Be or become a British Rowing registered member. Non-members can apply online for instant registration (England and Wales).
- Be a registered British Rowing website user, a current Scottish Rowing member, a current member of a Scottish Rowing club, and resident in Scotland (Scotland only).
Please note: The Instructor’s Award (IA) is still a valid coaching qualification. IA coaches wishing to proceed to the Level 2 Club Coach Certificate will be given access to all of the materials to ensure they are up to date.
How is the course structured?
It focuses on developing three coaching behaviours:
- Being a rower-focused coach.
- Looking to develop continually as a coach.
- Having a concern for standards.
How do I apply?
Complete the two online courses, available free of charge on RowHow:
Don’t forget to print off and keep your certificates for your portfolio!
Book onto and attend:
Complete your Emergency Aid training.
Please note: British Rowing provides online booking for 3rd party providers.
Register on a Level 2 Club Coach course. Check the calendar to find one near you.
After completing the tutored part of the course you are:
- Required to keep a coaching diary for six sessions.
- Be observed coaching in your normal environment by an independent assessor (three hours are allocated for this).
- Do some pre-course reading and self-analysis.
Course materials are available on RowHow.
You will be provided with a Learner pack that contains all the information and templates that you will need, as well as:
- Level 2 Technical Handbook
- Communication in coaching manual
- Learn to Row handbook sample
- Code of practice for sports coaches (sports coach UK)
- Go Faster with Foster DVD
What about Accredited Prior Learning (APL)?
View the APL policy here.
How do I convert to sliding/fixed seat?
View our conversion to sliding/fixed seat policy here.
Where can I find funding?
Here is a list of organisations who are able to help you on your journey.
- Country Sports Partnerships Coaching Network
- sports coach UK Funding Opportunities for Coaching Guide
Upcoming Sliding Seat Courses
Club Coach Sliding Seat - Jersey
7th Oct 2016, 8th Oct 2016, 9th Oct 2016, 14th Oct 2016, 15th Oct 2016, 16th Oct 2016
UKCC Level 2 Rowing (Sliding Seat) - Nottingham
5th Nov 2016, 6th Nov 2016, 12th Nov 2016, 13th Nov 2016
Club Coach - Newcastle
7th Jan 2017, 8th Jan 2017, 14th Jan 2017, 15th Jan 2017
UKCC Level 2 Coaching Rowing Certificate (Sliding Seat) - Leeds
18th Feb 2017, 19th Feb 2017, 4th Mar 2017, 5th Mar 2017
Club Coach Sliding Seat - Norwich
5th Mar 2017, 12th Mar 2017, 26th Mar 2017, 2nd Apr 2017
Upcoming Fixed Seat Courses
Club Coach Fixed Seat
29th Oct 2016, 30th Oct 2016, 5th Nov 2016, 6th Nov 2016
Upcoming Courses inclusive of Prerequisites
Sorry, there are no upcoming courses.
Further courses can be found by searching on the Courses Calendar.