Women’s Development Programme – Support Coach
Interested in facing a new challenge, developing yourself and learning something new? Our Support Coach position is a great development opportunity for someone who wants to get into sports coaching and particularly talent development. You’ll work alongside one of our Women’s Development Programme Lead Coaches who will guide you through the ins and outs of rowing and help start you on your coaching journey!
As part of the role, you’ll attend in-person and virtual sessions with all the other coaches on the programme, where you’ll share ideas, learn and discuss how things are working. You’ll also have the opportunity to attend a British Rowing Camp to learn more about our performance pathway.
Let’s start off by saying you don’t need any prior knowledge of rowing. We’re looking for people who have a willingness to learn, challenge concepts and bring new ideas to the sport. The most important thing we are looking for is good communicators, who have the ability to inspire and enable those around them. You’ll also be passionate about supporting others to make everyone be the best they can be.
For the role it would be great if you had First Aid and Safeguarding & Protecting Children training but don’t worry if you don’t, as we’ll support you through that training if you need it. You will be asked to complete DBS documentation through us, as you’ll be working with junior rowers.
We are the governing body for rowing, responsible for supporting grassroots rowing in England and getting the GB Rowing Team ready for the Olympics, Paralympics and other international competitions.
The Women’s Development Programme is run by British Rowing’s Performance Talent Team. We passionately believe in supporting and expanding the ambitions of rowers who show potential regardless of their background or circumstances, helping them to achieve their ambitions.
British Rowing more widely is committed to supporting more women to find their potential and the Women’s Development Programme is just part of that commitment. The Women’s Development Programme focuses on women and girls aged 14 to 23 in clubs, schools and universities supporting them in their development to fulfil their potential.
The role will be a contract on a self-employed basis. As part of our offer to you, you’ll be given British Rowing Coach membership and you’ll be supported through:
· Virtual forums: bringing together all the Women’s Development Programme coaches once monthly from October through to May.
· Induction day on Sunday, October 2nd: Including the cost of travel, accommodation and food expenses.
· Education: To support your development in rowing we will offer you funding of up to £450 towards education costs. This could include the UKCC Level 2 in Rowing or other relevant rowing training including one of our Start Programme Camps.
We’ll also give you £300 per annum which will be delivered in 2 payments.
o Payment 1 on successful completion of Day 1.
o Payment 2 on successful completion of Day 2 and prior to April 1st 2023
We encourage applications from all who are interested in the following areas. If you would like clarity on any of the areas, please get in touch.
· East Midlands (Leicester, Derby, Nottingham, Lincoln and Boston)
· Eastern (East of the A1, from Peterborough down to the M25.)
· Lower Thames/Tideway (Heathrow to central London)
· North East (Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, Durham and Teesside)
· North West (Lancaster down to Stoke on Trent)
· West Midlands (Shrewsbury/Birmingham down to Gloucester)
Applications will close at 09:00 on August 15th but if you like the sound of the role make sure to get your application in straight away!
Provisional dates and times for interviews that will take place via “Google Meet” are as follows:
· East Midlands (September 6th 09:30-12:30)
· Eastern (September 7th 12:00-15:00)
· Lower Thames/Tideway (August 31st 13:00-16:00)
· North East (September 7th 13:00-16:00)
· North West (August 26th 14:00-17:00)
· West Midlands (September 6th 09:00-12:00)
If you have any questions or would like an informal discussion about the role you can contact James Andrews, our Head of Performance Talent who’d love to talk with you about answer any questions you have!
Application Dates: From Thursday 7th July 2022 to Monday 15th August 2022