Winchester College – Graduate Assistant Rowing Coach
We have an exciting opportunity to appoint a Graduate Assistant Rowing Coach, starting in September 2023.
The position has the following duties in the support of the department:
- To work closely with the Head Coach to deliver high quality rowing coaching to boys aged 13 – 18 and girls aged 16 – 18.
- To work the training hours as determined by the Head Coach, Rowing, and be available at other times, as required.
- Assist with boat handling and putting rowers on and off the water
- Teach sound rowing technique
- Monitor performance and recording training data on a regular (weekly) basis
- Monitor technique of athletes to ensure that rowing is safe and standards of technical ability are high.
- Work successfully and communicate effectively as part of a large sports coaching team
- Assist the Master in Charge of Rowing with the administration of the club, trips and tours
- Provide support to the coaching team at rowing fixtures and events
- Promote the values of fair play, teamwork and competition and respect for officials and British Rowing rules.
- Promote an ethos of good practice among student rowers with regard to the use and care of boat house equipment.
- To assist the Boat House Manger with boat related tasks such as gearing oars, rigging boats and fitting telemetry.
- To assist in capsize drill training at the start of each new academic year, or at desired times throughout the year.
- Help with driving the trailer to events and training camps.
About Winchester College
Winchester College was founded by William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester, in 1382. The school currently has 700 pupils. In September 2022, the College welcomed 40 day pupils, including 17 girls, into the Sixth Form and will continue to do so, over time expanding the entry each year to up to 50 girl boarders. The number of pupils boarding at the College will remain the same.
Situated in the heart of Winchester and within easy reach of London, there are few schools in the world which can claim to be as historic, distinguished and beautiful as Winchester College. This unparalleled combination attracts pupils from across the world, making Winchester a truly international and diverse community which celebrates and values everyone’s individuality, talents and potential.
Terms and conditions
Competitive salary, circa £22,000 per annum
This is a fixed term contract for two years.
This position includes a generous benefits package, including a pension auto-enrolment scheme and access to excellent sport facilities.
This is a full-time post during term time only, which will include evening and Sunday commitments. During holidays, the postholder will be expected to support planned school trips and camps.
For full details on the above post and to apply please click here.
Closing date: Noon on Tuesday 9 May 2023.
Early applications are encouraged, and the school reserves the right to close the application process early should a suitable candidate be found.
Winchester College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children: applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and obtaining an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services certificate.
Winchester College embraces diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is committed to promoting a fair and supportive environment for all our employees. We are keen to welcome applications from all applicants that feel that they meet the requirements of the role, regardless of their background and culture.
Further information about the school can be found at www.winchestercollege.org.
Application Dates: From Tuesday 25th April 2023 to Tuesday 9th May 2023