Tideway Scullers School – Vacancy Junior Men’s coach
Tideway Scullers School is looking for a new Junior Men’s Coach to build on the hugely successful programme already in place as the current longstanding coach is retiring from this role.
Over the last 20 years TSS Junior men have regularly won National level events and had representatives in GB Junior teams. The Junior men’s section is flourishing in 2022 with two gold and 8 silver medals at National regattas at J15 and 16 level and selection of our J16 quad for the GB France match. The boys are hugely enthusiastic at the prospect of getting to the top level over the next few years. Do you want to be part of this?
Tideway Scullers School – Background to Junior section
Our junior section has been running in its current form for 20 years. It introduces rowing to the local community and supports juniors to the highest standards, regularly having representatives at Coupe and Junior International events. It is one of only a few clubs in London that provide local children, mostly from local state schools, with a pathway to the highest level in Junior level including International Representation. In 2021 the junior squads’ successes were crowned with wins at Nat Schools, HWR and the Fawley Challenge Cup at HRR.
Junior Mens’ coach – Job Detail
- Responsible for athletes from J15 to J18
- Developing and implementing annual strategy for the Junior Men’s squad by identifying appropriate targets and events, relative to athletes in a given year.
- Supporting and coaching athletes with a clear development pathway and appropriate communication, assessment and support. Setting crews based on competitive goals.
- Regular and clear communication with athletes and parents.
- Trailing of boats to events and management of athletes and boats at events
- Organize and manage TSS annual Junior camp with JW coach.
- Agree selection with Head Coach/Performance Director.
- Responsible for management of boats allocated to Junior Mens’ group, carrying out rigging and minor repairs, referring major repairs to appropriate TSS officer for resolution.
- Very strong focus on safety given the Tidal waters where TSS trains.
- Adherence and enforcement of club and British Rowing rules, especially with regard to Child Protection and anti-doping.
- Develop and maintain appropriate standards of behaviour as a senior representative of the club both on and off the water following BR guidelines.
- Collaborate with other coaches including in TSS coaches meetings, in arranging boat sharing, in trailing boats to events etc.
- Where time allows coach other groups as directed by Head Coach, to include Master’s Men and Women, Senior men and Women and other groups.
Junior Mens’s coach – reporting relationship
You will report to the TSS Head Coach but will also liaise with the Performance Director, Captain, Junior Coordinator, Junior Women’s coach and other TSS representatives.
You will have a
- Full driving licence (with ability to tow rowing trailers)
- Coaching qualification (minimum: UKCC Level 2 or international equivalent)
- Launch driving qualification (RYA Powerboat Level 2 or international equivalent)
- Current DBS check
This is a 25 hour weekly salaried position (with the potential to be full time) involving full days on Saturday and Sunday and three evening sessions in the week. Remuneration will be relative to your experience and our ambition for you and all our athletes. This is a chance to help write the next page of the Scullers Juniors story.
If you want to know more or to apply, please email: [email protected]
Interviews will take place from early August.
Application Dates: From Monday 25th July 2022 to Sunday 31st July 2022