Chief Operating Officer (COO) – British Rowing
Competitive package subject to experience
A hugely exciting opportunity to take on a leadership role within a high-profile sporting organisation that is on the move to drive transformational change and growth and to position British Rowing as a genuinely modern and progressive National Governing Body.
This is a new role and requires an exceptional individual who can inject pace into projects and formulate ideas that will benefit the organisation, the rowing community, members and the GB Rowing Teams. Reporting to the CEO, the postholder will work alongside other Executive Directors to shape the strategic direction of British Rowing and ensure the effective delivery of operational plans.
The successful candidate will be able to bring wider perspectives and experiences beyond the sport of rowing and/or sports governance but must have the knowledge, strategic leadership and business management skills to ensure that the new vision and objectives of British Rowing are achieved.
Core responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
- Lead the day-to-day operations of the Finance and Procurement, People, IT, Integrity and Safeguarding functions, ensuring that all resources are being harnessed effectively and that cultural transformation is at the heart of all activity.
- Ensure prioritisation of business projects in line with key strategic objectives, ensuring targets are set that will achieve return on investment and drive transformational change.
- Support the CEO in the development of financial strategy and monitor performance against financial plans.
- Ensure timely financial information is made available to the CEO, Board and budget holders to inform effective decision making across all areas.
- Lead on the development of good governance with British Rowing both corporate and continuing compliance with the Code for Sports Governance.
- Lead the risk management strategy for British Rowing.
- Oversee the centralised people function for over 110 employees including recruitment, onboarding, performance management, training and development, appraisal processes and employee welfare.
- Manage the operation of an outsourced payroll function.
- Ensure the effective functioning of the IT infrastructure system and introduction of innovative technology to improve business performance.
- Manage the Head of Safeguarding and Integrity to oversee the development of high-quality safeguarding practices within the organisation and across the sport of rowing.
- Significant experience at COO/Finance Director level within a fast paced, customer driven business.
- Evidence of highly effective strategic financial planning, financial accounting, financial management, management accounts, budgetary control and procurement.
- Track record of delivering business growth through strong strategic leadership, innovation and a commercially focused approach to finance management.
- Intellectually strong with high level of strategic acumen and business management skills. A proven ability to transform vision into reality.
- Excellent planning, organisational and analytical skills to ensure core strategic objectives are met.
- Extensive experience of driving successful IT strategies across an organisation.
- Previous responsibility for a highly effective people function, encompassing employee support and personal development.
- Knowledge of best practice with regards to safeguarding would be beneficial.
- Energetic, persuasive and engaging personality with inspirational leadership capabilities. Lead by example across a small team and balance driving for results with the ability to coach and mentor the marketing team to achieve their objectives.
- Natural ability to challenge or support where necessary and to lead transformational change though innovative working practices and effective people management.
- A natural interest at sport at all levels is highly desirable and previous experience within sports governance would be advantageous.
Please send a covering letter, CV and details of current or most recent remuneration to:
For an informal discussion please contact James Tindall on 0207 970 9726
Closing Date: Friday 22 July 2022
British Rowing is committed to equal opportunities for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Application Dates: From Wednesday 6th July 2022 to Friday 22nd July 2022