British Rowing – Head of Membership
To lead the strategic development and day-to-day management of British Rowing’s membership products and services, retaining and growing the number of members, affiliated clubs and competitions, ensuring high levels of satisfaction among existing members, and the efficient and effective running of British Rowing’s Membership Services team.
- Lead the implementation of the new membership offer to deliver a significant increase in the number of British Rowing members and membership revenue aiming for a 5% increase in paid members year on year.
- Ensure the benefits of British Rowing membership continue to meet the demands of all customer segments within the rowing community.
- Lead the implementation of a renewed club affiliation model with relevant benefits that meets the demands of rowing clubs and competitions.
- Work with British Rowing’s Head of Technology to identify new products, services, tools and systems to better support British Rowing members and the Membership Services team.
- Review and enhance British Rowing’s end-to-end member experience and CRM model, ensuring all touchpoints and communications are optimised to increase member acquisition, improve retention and reduce churn.
- Work with British Rowing’s Insight Manager to use customer research and data analysis to better understand and improve the member experience and measure satisfaction.
- Develop strong, collaborative relationships within British Rowing and across the wider sport and membership sectors.
- Support British Rowing in the delivery of its strategic plan and ensure all stakeholders have the best experience of British Rowing.
- Lead and manage the Membership Services team in ensuring all customer queries are managed through our channels, systems and processes, to the agreed timescales.
- Act as product owner for all online systems related to the sales and management of British Rowing membership.
- Oversee the running of British Rowing’s annual membership and affiliation-related processes, especially the annual club affiliation and club safety audit processes.
- Work with British Rowing’s Communications & Marketing team to plan, measure the performance of, and optimise all communications to members, including monthly membership updates and all renewal emails.
- Manage relationships and budget with all partners and suppliers, especially our member insurance provider and external printing and fulfilment partner.
- Work with British Rowing’s Insight Manager to ensure regular internal communications around membership numbers, trends and associated data.
- Work with and support senior volunteers in key British Rowing committees as required.
- Ensure the Membership Services team have all they need to provide outstanding customer support, including being appropriately resourced and supported by the wider organisation during key busy periods of the year.
- Through effective line management and leadership, ensure the Membership Services team are happy, motivated and high performing in their roles.
- Manage the performance review process / appraisals process on an ongoing basis.
This job specification is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation.
- Evidence of identifying opportunities and implementing membership programmes to grow and retain a membership/consumer base.
- Strong leadership and line-management skills to ensure all direct reports are engaged and empowered.
- Proven ability to understand, review and improve complex processes.
- Experience managing projects against agreed budget, timelines and outcomes.
- Highly motivated with a can-do attitude and willingness to work at both a strategic and hands-on level.
- Excellent verbal and written customer service skills.
- Proven track record of presenting to senior stakeholders in an engaging way.
- Ability to manage the operational and leadership demands of a multi-stakeholder customer service environment.
- Working knowledge of CRM practices and principles.
- Personable, collaborative, and ready to engage with the rowing community, and to contribute to a dedicated, hard-working, supportive and friendly organisation.
- Knowledge and/or, a passion for sport.
- Experience of working in sport – eg. a national governing body, sports league, sports brand or similar, either professionally or as a volunteer.
- Experience working in a membership or similar organisation – eg. a professional services or trade association.
- Experience working with data to derive customer insights.
- Experience of copywriting or content marketing.
A bit about us
Our passion is rowing. We are the governing body for rowing, responsible for supporting grassroots rowing in England and getting the GB Rowing Team ready for the Olympics, Paralympics and other international competitions.
We are a membership organisation with 30,000 individual members and we offer daily support to over 520 affiliated clubs and 220 affiliated events. We cover all types of rowing whether it’s on the river, in the gym (on a rowing machine) or on the sea and so a key aim is to have an inclusive rowing offer for everyone who has an interest in trying out our sport.
What we offer
We offer a hybrid model of working with attendance several days a week at the head office on the river in Hammersmith, London required. Standard working hours are 9:00 to 17:00 although flexibility is required in order to ensure core objectives are achieved. National travel may be required.
We offer a compensation package dependent on your experience but with a base salary between £40,000 and £45,000. As an employee, you would also get some great perks as part of the team at British Rowing including Employer’s pension contribution of 7.5%, 25 days holiday each year, Cycle to Work, eyecare vouchers and free staff kit.
Any other questions? Just drop us a line.
Get your application in
To apply for this role, please send us your CV alongside a covering letter to Marieke Hagemans, Director of Membership & Rowing Community. We’re going to close applications on Friday 8th July 2022 at 5pm but if you like the sound of the job please apply straight away as we reserve the right to close applications early.
British Rowing is committed to equal opportunities for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Application Dates: From Friday 24th June 2022 to Friday 8th July 2022