University of London Boat Club – Senior Coach
The senior coach works alongside the Head coach and is involved in all aspects of the club’s athlete development.
In the region of £30,000 per annum dependent on experience. The role benefits from 20 days’ paid annual leave and workplace pension contributions.
ULBC which is funded and overseen primarily by its alumni, has a long history of success at both top domestic and international level and an objective to put in place a programme that makes this success sustainable in the long term.
The club’s objective:
“ULBC exist as a centre of rowing excellence, supporting the rowing development of current and past students of the University of London and, by invitation, other exceptional athletes, to compete successfully at national and international level. The aim of ULBC is to be the premier student rowing establishment in Great Britain and one of the most successful domestic and international rowing clubs.”
Within that context, precise targets for coaches are agreed on an annual basis.
The successful candidate will be expected to be happy with the club’s values.
The senior coach reports to the chief coach who is advised by the performance management committee which is made up of alumni of the club.
- Assist the Chief Coach with the design of the programme for the year
- Successfully deliver the area of the programme delegated by the ULBC Chief Coach, including:
- Work with the Chief Coach to publish training programmes on a regular basis throughout the year and provide guidance as appropriate to its implementation and amendment for individual squads
- Ensure that there is a visible development pathway in place which satisfies ULBC and individual athletes (ensure there is a clear pathway from novice to international, etc)
- Contribute to a proactive recruitment programme that attracts athletes to ULBC including the recruitment of both established and novice athletes
- Work with the Chief Coach in assessing athlete performance, crew selection and identifying events to attend
- Maintain an atmosphere of mutual assistance and respect.
- Develop and maintain appropriate standards of behaviour as a senior representative of the Club both on and off the water
- Anti – doping: The job holder is expected to be fully conversant with the core requirements of the WADA Anti-doping Code and its requirements on coaches and Team Support personnel to set a good example in this field. When directly working with athletes the job –holder has responsibility to inform them appropriately of the Code’s application to them and to influence them in following a “drug free” culture
- Follow the UK sport coaches code of conduct
The initial contract term will be 12 months, subject to renewal following a performance review. There will be an interim appraisal after 6 months. The contact can be terminated with 3 months notice by either party but the expectation is the contract will be renewed.
- Demonstrable experience of having the ability to take athletes from novice to aspiring international with core abilities of coaching top level club athletes
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
Desirable Qualifications: (if not held, the appointee will be expected to work towards these qualifications once in post)
- Full driving licence (with ability to tow rowing trailers)
- Coaching qualification (minimum: UKCC Level 2 or international equivalent)
- Launch driving qualification (RYA Powerboat Level 2 or international equivalent)
On receipt of an application and CV in writing to be sent to [email protected] , we will provide a copy of the job description and other relevant papers to the applicant and arrange for an interview to take place if appropriate. This will be conducted by the ULBC Chief Coach initially then by representatives of the performance committee. We may ask the applicant back for a second interview or to observe first hand the applicant coaching before making a decision on the applicant’s suitability. Closing date for applications is Monday 19th July.
Application Dates: From Friday 9th July 2021 to Monday 19th July 2021