Thames Rowing Club – Assistant Rowing Coach
The assistant coach at TRC will provide support to the head coach and work alongside another
assistant – providing high-level coaching, strategic and day to day organisation and data
analysis. The role will primarily focus on the women’s squad.
£24,000-£26,500 p/a. Amount will be dependent on experience and includes 25 days’ paid
annual leave and workplace pension. Reasonable expenses will also be covered separately.
Working under the professional head coach and alongside the core coaching team comprised of
another professional assistant and a number of volunteers, the role will focus on maximising the
potential of a large and competitive squad.
TRC’s objectives include:
- Developing athletes from novice to intermediate level;
- Targeting wins at HRR in both men’s and women’s club events;
- Designing and implementing a training programme that is compatible with athletes’ fulltime employment;
- Development of physiology and nutrition;
- Retaining good club spirit and enjoyment of the sport.
• Prior coaching experience;
• Success at top club/university/school level is preferable but not mandatory. TRC are looking to develop a coach to the next level and youth or inexperience is not strictly a bar;
• Full UK driving licence/international equivalent;
• Passion for the sport.
(If not held, these will need to be attained once in post)
• RYA Powerboat Level 2 or international equivalent;
• Trailer towing licence
TRC is one of the oldest and most successful clubs in the country. It is a club for athletes who
are looking to train and compete at a high level alongside full time employment and realise their
athletic potential. With a squad of 80-100 athletes (split evenly across men and women), the club
targets club wins at HWR and HRR every year.
Current staff include head coach Sander Smulders, assistant coach Jeroen van der Kall and
boatman Jack Clark. Our boathouse is situated on the Putney Embankment on Tideway stretch of
the Thames and we have a large and competitive fleet of Empachers and Filippis. Coaching is
primarily water and gym-based and includes ergs, weights, S&C and cycling alongside regular
Applications via CV and covering letter to [email protected].
Application Dates: From Wednesday 30th June 2021 to Monday 12th July 2021