Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club – Head Rowing Coach
Head Rowing Coach Opportunity at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club
Located between the Club’s Middle Island facility in Deep Water Bay, the Club’s headquarters at Kellett Island facility in Causeway Bay and at the Shek Mun Rowing Centre, the Head Rowing Coach opportunity is an exciting one for a dynamic coaching professional to lead one of Asia’s largest and oldest rowing Club’s programmes.
About the Rowing at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club
Rowing at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club is managed by the Rowing and Paddle Sports Department. The Department has a large portfolio of rowing programmes and courses, with a set rowing development pathway guiding our athletes through their development in the sport. In regard to adult rowing, the Club offers courses and programmes for those learning to row all the way through to competitive masters rowing with target regattas including Head of the Charles, Henley Royal Regatta and other various masters rowing regattas around the Asia Region.
The Club is a leading Club in Asia for coastal rowing with several of our athletes travelling annually to compete in the annual World Rowing Coastal Championships. The Club is also home to a large recreational rowing community that competes in domestic regattas but can mainly be found exploring the waters of Hong Kong in our coastal rowing fleet.
In regards to youth rowing, the Club is home to the Sharks Rowing Squad, a performance rowing programme for our young athletes that the join the Club through either learning the sport during one of our holiday rowing camps or through our schools rowing programme.
The Club was the host venue and delivery partner of the 2018 Asian Rowing Coastal Championships and the 2019 World Rowing Coastal Championships and works with the Hong Kong China Rowing Association to deliver the Hong Kong Coastal Championships annually in addition to several Club organized regattas including the Around the Island Race and the Harbour Regatta.
The Club’s Head Rowing Coach is responsible for leading a group of full time, part time and volunteer coaches and Members to lead and deliver programmes and courses across the entire rowing development pathway for adult and junior rowers at the Club. The role also has full responsibility for all rowing equipment at the Club.
The Head Rowing Coach reports to the Rowing and Paddle Sports Manager and will work in collaboration with the Rowing and Paddle Sports Department management team to ensure that the highest standards are set, and our departmental objectives are delivered. It is the responsibility of the new Head Coach to contribute to this fantastic team and lead by example by possessing a natural desire to learn, improve and problem solve.
RHKYC Rowing & Paddle Sports Department by the Numbers
• 350+ Active RHKYC Members
• 800+ Athletes participating in programmes and course annually.
• 50+ Rowing boats (coastal and fine)
• 3 FT rowing coaches/ 10+ causal coaches
• 4 Rowing Facilities in Hong Kong (Middle Island, Kellett Island, Shelter Cove, Shek Mun Rowing Centre)
• 15+ rowing and paddle sports regattas organised annually
• Oversees all rowing programmes, courses and camps for adult and junior athletes at the Club.
• Actively participate in coaching at all levels of the Club’s rowing pathway.
• Responsible for maintaining a budget, ensuring target revenues from courses and programmes are met whilst operating within the expenditure budget including repair, maintenance, and coaching costs.
• Providing leadership, direction and professional development for all rowing coaching staff at the Club.
• Responsible for the repair, maintenance and replacement of all Club rowing assets including producing a capital expenditure forecast for a minimum of five years.
• Be actively involved in department strategic planning and lead the strategic development for the rowing programmes and courses.
• Continuously review the Club’s Rowing Safety Policies, procedures, site specific documents, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and risk assessments for all our rowing facilities.
• Regular attendance at various committee and working group meetings.
• Actively develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including the Hong Kong, China Rowing Association.
Experience, Qualifications and Selection Criteria
• Preferably a minimum of three years of experience as a Head Rowing Coach or managing a large rowing programme including management full time coaches.
• British Rowing Level 3 Coach or equivalent is preferred, a minimum of British Rowing Level 2 is required.
• A proven track record of developing successful athletic programmes for masters and junior rowers.
• Work experience must be progressive with verifiable areas of responsibility and accomplishments.
• Sound technical knowledge of rowing equipment and proven experience of managing a sizeable asset list.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Club offers an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
Please send your CV/ resume and a thoughtful letter of application to the Club’s Human Resources Manager Susanna Chung via [email protected] .
Application Dates: From Thursday 17th June 2021 to Monday 28th June 2021