Eton Excelsior Rowing Club – Junior & Recreational Rowing Coach
Eton Excelsior Rowing Club is seeking an experienced coach to lead on coaching for our weekday adult recreational rowing and junior squads. The post holder will work on a self-employed basis for 40 hours a week, with the potential to take on paid overtime as needed. They will be supported in this role by a paid assistant coach and by unpaid volunteers.
Responsible to: Chief Coach, Club Captain
- Coaching and developing a squad of juniors (J12-18) with a focus on sculling
- Coaching and developing weekday recreational rowing
- Teach excellent technique in line with British Rowing guidelines
- Track and monitor the progress and development of rowers in the squad
- Compile a suitable training schedule and programme for the squads, in consultation with Chief Coach and Club Captain
- Set good standards of behaviour
- Act as main point of contact for parents/carers of junior members.
- Encourage parents to become volunteers and assist with supervision and boating duties
- Communicate effectively as part of a larger coaching team
- To be responsible for the creation of the adult weekday daytime recreational squad, assisting with corporate events and coaching of junior squads during, but not limited to, the following times: evening training Monday-Friday 4.30-6.30, Weekend training 11.30 onwards (2 separate sessions).
- Responsible for the Coaching commitments for this role will amount to 40 hours per week, to include administration time. To be available at other times as determined in discussion with Chief Coach and Club Captain (for example, during regattas, or to run a learn to row course)
- To devise a suitable programme for junior athletes, in discussion with Chief Coach and Club Captain, and in line with British Rowing’s ‘How much, how often’ guidelines
- To be responsible for junior race entries, and liaise with parent volunteers over junior racing accounts
- To assist with boat rigging
- Hold regular briefings, including safety
- To promote the safeguarding and welfare of all junior and adult members
- General duties within the boat house including equipment maintenance, and
- maintenance of the boathouse, including sweeping, bins, cleaning, tidying etc.
- To undertake other such tasks as they arise as may be reasonable to support the success of the junior squads and Eton Excelsior Rowing Club
- Demonstrates high standards and lead by example
Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent experience in coaching (Level 2 coaching qualification in rowing, or working towards this qualification as a minimum requirement.)
- Basic boat maintenance skills
- Good watermanship and a demonstrable knowledge of rowing
- The ability to work with children aged 12 to 18
- First Aid certificate
- Power Boat Level 2 certificate
- Clean driving licence (D1+E)
- Trailer towing experience
Pay subject to experience and qualifications, hours vary depending upon week and time of the year and may include early mornings, evenings, school holidays and weekends. Applicants will need to be flexible.
Please note, appointment to this role is subject to the successful applicant passing DBS check.
All enquiries should be directed to Club Chairman, Nicki Kelly at [email protected]. To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter outlining your skills and experience to [email protected].
Application Dates: From Tuesday 13th July 2021 to Saturday 14th August 2021