East Anglia Youth Rowing – Coach/Manager
East Anglia Youth Rowing is a newly formed charitable organisation based on a partnership of rowing clubs in the region. The organisation has support from the Henley Royal Regatta Charitable Trust and LoveRowing and has the following goals:
- To introduce rowing as a sport to a wider range of young people, so that participation in the sport mirrors the community
- To provide an environment that fosters: challenge, confidence building and aspiration in students from disadvantaged backgrounds
- To help improve the life chances of disadvantaged students who are at risk of disengaging with education
An initial program has been launched with North Cambridge Academy and a second is due to start with Thomas Gainsborough School in Sudbury, discussions are also in progress with two additional schools and the organisation has longer term aspirations to be able to partner with a further 12 schools over the next three years. In each case the aim is to provide coaching to young people at the school with the support of their local rowing club.
Having secured longer term funding, we are now in a position to hire a Coach / Manager to drive the program and, over time, lead a small team of coaches.
The role will comprise of the following key duties:
- Drive the East Anglia Youth Rowing outreach programme forward – working with the trustees to build new partnerships between EAYR, schools and rowing clubs; defining the shape of the program at each school; and assisting the trustees with fundraising activities.
- Coaching – introducing rowing as a sport to a diverse group of young people at the schools under the EAYR umbrella (typically year 8 or year 9), encouraging participation, fun, challenge and confidence building.
- Managing a coaching team – managing volunteers and session coaches and, once the program has grown, one or more assistant coaches.
Remuneration and Terms
The salary is £28,000 per annum, with an annual leave entitlement of four weeks plus statutory holidays. All reasonable expenses will be covered.
Key skills and competencies required
- Proven coaching expertise in sculling and rowing
- Understanding of safeguarding with either a safeguarding qualification or a willingness to acquire one
- Project management/organisation skills
- Proven ability to engage and communicate with diverse audiences in a clear concise manner
- Ability to use software tools /applications to support data management and effective communication
- Bias for action (action orientated, self-starting)
- Building talent and teams (active development).
Essential experience and qualifications:
- Experience of a school or youth sport program
- Ability to plan, collaborate, organise and deliver programmes
- British Rowing Coaching qualification UKCC Level 2 or a track record of coaching experience
- Current clean full driving licence.
- First aid qualification
Desirable experience and qualifications:
- Driving licence with the ability to tow trailers
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 or international equivalent
Applications to: [email protected]
Application Dates: From Tuesday 29th March 2022 to Wednesday 13th April 2022