As an affiliated British Rowing club, you are recognised as a voting member of the organisation. We will support your clubs development and help you meet national standards of governance which helps to make clubs safe and well-run.
Purpose of club affiliation
Through the annual process of club affiliation British Rowing is able to recognise safe and well run clubs by entering into a year long contract where we offer support, recognition and tools.
Why should clubs affiliate?
Affiliating to British Rowing should be something that every club in the sport should want to do. We aim to be clear about where and how we add value, with benefits that resonate with the rowing community that are explained in simple terms. Affiliation to British Rowing needs to be about facilitating clubs to facilitate and enhance people’s enjoyment of the sport while also giving them a sense of status and belonging, rather than being seen as a tax that allows them to race.
There might be organisations that feel the support and benefits listed aren’t relevant to them but they do want to be part of the rowing community. For these organisations we offer a Association membership. They will receive guidance on funding applications*, welfare and safeguarding*, Clean Sport* and are able to post job adverts on the British Rowing website free of charge. These organisations will also be listed on ClubFinder* and in the British Rowing Almanack, and they can use British Rowing branding according to the brand guidelines set out. In terms of tools, associated organisations can use ClubHub and RowHow for a fee and should get in touch with British Rowing staff via [email protected] if they have an interest in doing so.
*if located in England
Standard Affiliation benefits
Support and guidance
- Basic fundraising applications
- Facility development
- Club Guides and Club Masterclass webinar series on important topics (e.g. Diversity and Inclusion, Uni rowing)
- Development support i.e. how to grow your club
- Go Row Indoor support for schools
- Dealing with navigation authorities
- Free legal and tax support in partnership with British Rowing’s Official Legal Partner, Irwin Mitchell – via the British Rowing Legal and Tax Helpline on 0333 010 0345
- Posting job adverts free of charge on our Jobs page
- Free DBS checks for club members in eligible roles (for example, those coaching or supervising children)
- Safety and support from the Honorary Rowing Safety Adviser
- Welfare and Safeguarding
- Clean Sport practices
- Data protection
- Club constitutional matters
- British Rowing Almanack
- Disciplinary and Grievance procedure.
This is important for clubs because you want your rowers to be in a safe environment and offer enjoyable rowing opportunities for everyone. We can help you with that by providing guidance on a wide range of issues. British Rowing can help your club operate, develop and grow by providing support on different challenges.
- Of ‘Good club’ / well run
- Represented at National level
- Listed on British Rowing ClubFinder and in the annual Almanack
- Use of British Rowing branding (according to brand guidelines).
This is important for clubs because you work hard to run your rowing club and welcome new people to our sport. We want to reward you by offering National exposure and awards for being a well run club and meeting required standards. We believe that leads to more opportunities for everyone in rowing.
Tools: Use of systems to help run your club
- Incident Reporting
- RowHow – Coach Education and volunteer training
- Racing – BROE and Competition Admin Support
- Go Row Indoor Schools Platform
- 20% off access to the Clubforce Online lottery platform
- Free associate membership of BASIS (the British Association for Sustainable Sport) as part of British Rowing’s Sports Group membership providing a monthly BASIS newsletter, invitation to events, access to selected online and in-person activities and events, up to 25% discounted access to training and selected additional services, discounted tickets to National Conference and other selected events and access to free website resources. Clubs wanting to take up this benefit should contact BASIS direct.
This is important for clubs because use of our systems and being part of a regional council help clubs to manage their administrative burden as well as giving a sense of belonging and a route to share ideas and opinions at a regional level to be represented nationally.
- Membership of the Regional Council.
This is important for clubs because clubs have a say in the organisation and running of their sport and in the future of rowing in England.
Affiliation Plus benefits
In addition to all of the standard Affiliation benefits listed above, clubs who opt for Affiliation Plus also receive:
- Club insurance cover including:
– Public and Products Liability: £10,000,000 limit of indemnity*
– Extended cover to include Hirers Liability for an indemnity limit of £1,000,000**
– Employers Liability: £10,000,000 limit of indemnity, extended to include all clubs in respect of volunteers.
– Professional Indemnity: £5,000,000 limit of indemnity.
– Management Liability Extension (Directors and Officers): £250,000***
– Abuse Extension: £2,000,000 limit of indemnity****
– Cyber Liability Extension: £25,000 limit of indemnity.
- Enhanced fundraising support.
*subject to an excess of £250 in respect of Third Party Property Damage.
**in respect of any one claim and in respect of all claims arising out of one occurrence.
***per claim, per club subject to an excess of £500.
****subject to scaled back cover with reduced limits to cater for retrospective historic incidents which may not be picked up under any previous coverage for abuse.