British Rowing has around 32,000 individual members who range in age from 11 to over eighty. Individual members are generally linked to one of our 550 affiliated rowing clubs, which in turn are within ten rowing regions in England.
Each region has a regional rowing council and a representative or representatives who represent them on British Rowing's Council, the governing committee of the sport.
Corporate Governance Structure
British Rowing's Council is made up of;
- the members of the Executive Board
- the Regional Chairmen
- the Regional Representatives
- The Honorary Rowing Safety Adviser (non-voting)
The Executive Board is the Board of Directors of British Rowing Ltd, they meet at regular intervals, usually seven or eight times a year and comprise;
- The Executive Officers - the Chairman, the Honorary Treasurer and a Deputy Chairman
- A representative from Scottish Rowing
- A representative from Welsh Rowing
- Chief Executive Officer (non-voting)
- Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the Sport Committee
- Two representatives elected by Council from within the Council
- Chairman of the Finance Committee
- Athletes' Representative
- Two Independent Directors
The Sport Committee is the co-ordinating committee for the development of the sport and is made up of;
- A Chairman and Deputy Chairman elected by Council
- The Chairmen, or nominated deputies of the following committees: National Coaching, National Competition, National Umpiring, Junior Rowing, Masters Rowing, Recreational Rowing and Rowing Safety.
There are a number of other committees and advisory panels which report to Council through the Sport Committee, Executive Board or the National Committees and these include - Finance, British Rowing Championships, Medical, Anti-Doping, Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups, Young Persons' Panel, Multi-Lane Umpiring, Facilities.
British Rowing also has three Honorary advisory posts, Rowing Safety Adviser, Dr. Chris George (Acting), Medical Officer, Dr David Zideman and Legal Adviser, Richard Lester.
Coaching & Development Structure
British Rowing's Education & Training and Participation teams support rowers and the programmes of the association which include engaging new participants through new partnerships and rowing for life through well-resourced clubs.
Dame Diana Ellis DBE is the Honorary President of British Rowing and there are two life Vice Presidents - C.G.V. Davidge OBE and M. Brandon-Bravo OBE.