Affiliation to British Rowing
As an affiliated British Rowing club, you are a voting member of the association.
Your club will also be able to enter British Rowing competitions and your club colours will be registered with British Rowing and will appear in the British Rowing Almanack. Competitions are listed on the racing calendar and there are other local competitions outside the national events calendar that are open only to affiliated clubs.
Affiliating your club to British Rowing gives you access to all the services that British Rowing provides including support from our professional staff and volunteers, British Rowing resources and accreditation schemes. Support is available for all our clubs on matters such as management, development and governance.
Affiliation Application Form
If you are interested in affiliating to British Rowing as a club please complete the Affiliation Application Form.
Being affiliated to the National Governing Body of the sport indicates that the club recognises its responsibilities to its members to conduct rowing within the good practice guidelines for safety, training, governance, equity, anti-doping and other policies developed and practiced for the benefit of all rowers. You will also be recognised by Sport England, Local Authorities and other Governmental and Non-Governmental agencies and be able to acccess their support for funding at regional and local level.
Affiliated clubs receive publicity via the British Rowing Almanack and website, attracting members to clubs. People interested in starting rowing and searching for their local club using our club-finder will only see affiliated clubs in this search.
Once affiliated, the club can vote in British Rowing elections and will also receive mailings about British Rowing events and activities. These include coaching conferences, technical workshops and seminars, coach training and CPD, trial programmes, safety information, safeguarding information, coaching and volunteer awards and advice on good practice. The Club Stream newsletter includes information on policy updates and activities.
Coaches who are individual members of British Rowing receive insurance cover for their coaching at affiliated clubs. If the club is not affiliated, the coach will need to take out separate insurance cover. See the insurance mini-site for information on insurance.
A condition of entry to Henley Royal Regatta is that English Clubs must have been affiliated to British Rowing for at least twelve months prior to the regatta. For entry to Henley Women’s Regatta, the requirement is six months.
Some of the ways in which British Rowing could help your club:
- Funding for club development, expert advice and guidance.
- Representing rowing’s interests with the government, sports councils and a host of national and regional agencies.
- Lobbying for better access to waterways and protecting our environment.
- Developing new activities and more flexibility in the sport.
- Providing and developing talent pathways to help our rowers achieve their potential.
- Delivering nationally recognised coaching qualifications.
- Organising conferences, seminars and online resources for coaches.
- Delivering specialist training for volunteers in child protection, water safety, umpiring, and so on.
- Recognising our volunteers through annual awards.
- Promoting the interests of British rowing on the world stage.
If you are interested in affiliating to British Rowing as a club please complete the Affiliation Application Form in the link above and return to our Clubs Administrator at our Hammersmith office.