Surbiton High School – Operations Manager and Rowing Coach
The Operations Manager and Rowing Coach will perform a major role within the Surbiton High School rowing programme and will support the Head of Rowing in the operational management of the Boat Club and deputise for the Head of Rowing in their absence.
You will also be expected to form part of the coaching team and have the experience take run any of our squads from J13 to J18. You will be expected to coach across all squads.
A significant amount of the roll will be ensuring well-organised and effective administration of Surbiton Rowing programme.
Reporting Line: Head of Rowing
Start Date: 1 September 2023
The post holder will be required to work as necessary to complete the job, including out of hours, weekends and attending rowing events and training camps.
Application Deadline: 8.00am, Monday 19 June 2023
Interviews to be held week commencing: 26 June 2023
· To assist the Head of Rowing with a broad spectrum of operational and administrative duties as required pertinent to the running of the Boat Club
· To work with the Head of Rowing to create and implement future strategy
· To support the Head of Rowing in the internal and external vision of Surbiton Rowing
· To work with the Head of Rowing to manage the coaching team, the rowing programme and monitor specific groups when required
· To work across all squads, from WJ13 to WJ18, to lead and manage rowing squads and assist the coaching team in managing multiple rowing squads
· To ensure that the rowing programme focusses on every individual
· To devise, publish and implement training programmes alongside the Head of Rowing and Rowing Coaches
· To work closely with the rowing staff promote and develop sweep rowing and sculling technique across all squads in line with the Head of Rowing’s technical model and communicate to rowing staff
· To plan and run land-training sessions across strength and conditioning and indoor rowing
· To work with the coaching team to improve the overall performance of rowing squads
· To manage the cox’s course alongside the Head of Rowing
· To assist with general day to day running of the boathouse, its fleet of boats and associated equipment
· To publish and implement selection policies and the Rowing Handbook
· To manage the annual rowing calendar on a daily basis alongside the Head of Rowing, including events, staffing, holiday rowing and training sessions
· To create newsletters and marking articles when required
· To maintain records of training programmes, goals, progress and testing, alongside the coaching team.
· To assist the Head of Rowing in the organisation, planning and running of holiday training and training camps
· To raise the profile of rowing within SHS and the extended community, which will include presentations to school staff and parents
· To work alongside the parent supporters club to arrange functions and activities including the Boat Club Gala Dinner and attend meetings as required
· To attend various staff and departmental meetings, as required
· To work across all squads from WJ13 to WJ18
· To lead and manage rowing squads
· To record and monitor rower’s records of assessment and report on individual rower progress, which will include, but not limited to; racing and training data, ergo scores, water results and registers.
· To work with the Head of Rowing and colleagues to improve the rowing performance
· To provide training session feedback to the Head of Rowing and other members of the Rowing Team
· To supervise the racking and removal of equipment from the boathouse to minimise damage
· To coach and develop sculling and sweep rowing within the Surbiton technical model
· To set annual training plans in conjunction with the Head of Rowing and colleagues
· To supervise pupils during each session and outing and monitor the correct usage of the equipment
· To run land training sessions; ergos, strength and conditioning etc
· To manage trailer loading/unloading
· To attend regattas and head races and to assist in transport, rigging and all other organisation related to such events
· To assist in the preparation of rowing sessions; getting launches ready, and boats on and off the water
· To attend rowing races and events
· To attend training camps and holiday training
Please apply online by clicking on the following link.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email: [email protected]
Surbiton High School is culturally diverse and are fully committed to celebrating, respecting and learning about inclusion and diversity throughout the community.
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers, Disclosure and Barring Service and Online/Social media Searches
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
Type: Permanent, Full-time – 52 weeks of the year, 37.5 hours per week
Application Dates: From Wednesday 7th June 2023 to Monday 19th June 2023