Barn Elms – Rowing Coach & Boathouse Assistant at Enable
Enable are looking to take on a new coach to join our team from June 2022. At Barn Elms, we specialise in recreational rowing sessions for both adults and juniors, as well as running a competitive junior squad and working with local schools.
The role is 20 hours a week, with the flexibility in working hours however applicants must be available to work a minimum of two weekdays, and Saturday afternoons during term time. During peak season (April-September) there are often additional hours available.
Applicants must have a sound knowledge of rowing and sculling with good communication skills.
Level 2 coaching & RYA powerboat qualifications are preferable, but not essential.
- To help develop and deliver rowing sessions and courses.
- Contribute the day to day running of the boathouse.
- The post-holder will be responsible for coaching a variety of indoor and river-based sessions including adult and junior beginners, recreational adults, school sessions and a junior squad. This includes planning suitable sessions to meet the level and aims of the rowers.
- The post-holder will be responsible for contributing to the operational tasks involved in the day to day running of the boathouse.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Coach regular dry and river-based sessions to a cross-section of experience and skill levels.
- Deliver scheduled sessions and courses showing a clear developmental progression plan where required.
- Attend events and races where needed.
- Contribute to the development of our programmes and courses for groups and individuals.
- Market the site and ‘reach-out’ to specific groups identified in the team plan through the performance figures.
- Take bookings through our system and make sure payments are made prior to any session the customer has booked.
- Adhere to any daily operational schedules on-site, contributing to the daily maintenance of the boathouse.
- Check that all equipment is suitable for use and report this appropriately. Address any immediate issues where possible.
Generic Duties and Responsibilities
- To comply with all Enable codes of practice, including the code of conduct, and policies and procedures concerning data protection and health and safety.
- To be committed to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion for others, both colleagues and clients; to work to create and maintain a safe, supportive and welcoming environment where all people are treated with dignity and their identity and culture are valued and respected and to report any instances of inappropriate behaviour or discrimination.
- To be fully aware of and understand the duties and responsibilities arising from the Children’s Act 2004, the London Child Protection Procedures and Working Together in relation to child protection and safeguarding children and young people as this applies to your role within the council. To also be fully aware of the principles of safeguarding as they apply to vulnerable adults in relation to your work role.
- To ensure that your line manager is made aware and kept fully informed of any concerns which you may have in relation to safeguarding and/or child protection.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibilities of the post.
- An understanding and awareness of health and safety implications of rowing and coaching on the tideway.
- Knowledge of rowing and sculling technique.
- Experience in coaching young people of different ages and abilities to increase participation and develop pathways for talented athletes to flourish.
- Experience in coaching small groups through to larger numbers of varied ability
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to converse with key people (including colleagues, young people, other organisations and the general public) using a range of methods, including; oral, written, telephone and in meetings.
- Strong IT and web-based skills, with experience in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and any other relevant IT-based programmes.
- Ability to work alone and effectively prioritise workload to meet the demands of the job in a timely manner.
- Be able to manage behaviour to ensure sessions are enjoyable and inclusive.
- A knowledge and understanding of safeguarding vulnerable adults and young people and its relevance to the role of a Rowing Coach, demonstrating integrity at all times and a willingness to attend training as required.
- Ability to effectively market and promote the sessions and facility to a wide range of customers
- Ability to contribute to the development of training programmes and sessions for groups and individuals.
Application Dates: From Thursday 26th May 2022 to Friday 10th June 2022